Thursday, May 20, 2010

Baby Needs a Schedule

And by baby, I mean me.

I'm a disorganized mess who thrives on organization.  Thus, my quandary.  When I had a traditional office job, my coworkers were envious of my workspace. Always meticulously ordered, a place for everything and everything in its place.  I even color coded my files.  Oh, and the Excel spreadsheets.  I get pleasant shivers just thinking about the neatness and organization and categorization and million other -zations.  I used to work on payroll and HR stuff.  You know, the kind of stuff that can't get messed up or someone doesn't get paid properly.  Since I'm not willing to allow someone to get their pay screwed up, I was meticulous to ensure that I didn't make mistakes.  I'm a firm believer in the "cluttered desk = cluttered mind" theory.  The neatness and organization cleared away my thoughts of procrastination and motivated me to get my work done NOW.
Me at work (Not my actual desk but you get the picture)

But it all changes when I get home.  At heart I'm somewhat of a lazy hoarder.  What saved me at the office was my small space and desire not to mess up someone's pay.  This has been my single biggest challenge since my office became my home, and the park, and the car, and the grocery store.....  How do I stay organized and motivated and not just play on the floor with the kiddo all day long?
Me at home (again, not my actual home but, you know...)


Since D works, then comes home and works on school all night, I try to make an effort to get all the "house" things that I can do, done.  Anything from laundry, to dinners, to weeding and mopping.  You know, the fun stuff.  :)  He still gets to mow and weed-eat the lawn.  I see it as a part of my job.  This way, we each have more time to spend with the kiddo and each other.

In an effort to organize myself, I listed all possible home tasks, made a spreadsheet and assigned tasks to each day of the week.  It goes something like this:


Daily Tasks
  • shower (this was surprisingly hard to get done at first)
  • make bed
  • pick up kitchen, living room,bedroom before bed
  • scoop cat box before bed
Sunday
  • Vacuum
  • Errands (all of us)
  • Fun Projects (all of us)
Monday
  • Laundry-Clothes
  • Dust/Organize
Tuesday
  • Laundry-Towels/Sheets
  • Vacuum
  • Mop
Wednesday
  • Groceries (double ad day at Sprouts!)
  • Errands
  • Clean bathrooms
Thursday
  • Laundry-Clothes
  • Errands
  • Put out trash/recycle for Friday am pickup
Friday
  • Vacuum
  • Dust/Organize
  • Wash/groom dog (this NEVER happens)
Saturday
  • Mow/Weed Eat (for D)
  • Garage (if it needs it-for D)
  • Fun stuff! (all of us)
Of course, it's all in a super-sexy color coded spreadsheet calendar but you get the drift.  I try limit myself to no more than 3 big tasks per day and I only do them if they need to be done.  Some days I don't have errands, sometimes D vacuumed the night before so I don't need to.  Other times, LD is fussy or I just want to play with him a whole lot more so the schedule gets tossed out the window.  I also make "me" time.  When D is working on school from 7pm-9pm, it's "me " time.  The kiddo is in bed so I'll catch up on reading, take a bath, drink a beer, blog or talk on the phone.  Whatever I do, I don't do work.  

It's been working pretty well so far.  However, when LD was teething for 17 days straight, the schedule was forgotten and I'm still trying to get back on the wagon.  Today worked out well: got laundry done, didn't have any errands, and I've put out the trash.  Now I just sit back and relax till tomorrow, folks..............
My actual beer

No comments:

Post a Comment