Sunday, May 30, 2010

Good enough is just perfect

I stole the title line from Joel Salatin.  If anyone is interested in farming - I highly suggest his books.  He's a little Bible thumping at times for my taste (like decrying evolution in one breath but preaching the benefits of selective breeding on successive generations in the next) but he's a farming genius.

This weekend D and I have worked ourselves to the bone.  We've each put in hours and hours and hours in the yard.  We found more gardening cloth super cheap at Sam's so we're in the process pulling up all the mulch and hay we've put down and putting down the cloth then covering it again with the mulch.  We planted a blackberry bush and several strawberry plants.  Thinned the okra.  And weeded, weeded, weeded.

I have a hard time with big work weekends like this.  Not necessarily because it's a lot of work but because, I know that even with all the work we put in, we'll never get everything we want done, done perfectly.  I tend to be a perfectionist and it leaves me feeling frustrated and overwhelmed when I can't have everything EXACTLY the way I want it.  There just aren't enough hours in the day, dollars in the bank account and so on.

One of my goals the past few months has been to tell myself that doing what I can when I can is enough.  It's not worth it to go crazy making everything "just so" when it was fine in the first place.  I was reading You Can Farm by Joel Salatin and he sums is up well - "Good enough is just perfect."  Pretty much what I've been thinking about but said in a much more succinct way.  Don't kill yourself for the nicest or most expensive or best looking whatever.  If you make a functional clothesline for your yard and the angles aren't exactly square - don't kill yourself to make it perfect.  The clothes won't get any drier.  You're only wasting time and mental capital.

Sometimes I wish we had something more for the yard.  That something would make it perfect, right?  Wrong.  I get annoyed that we don't have a drip irrigation system for the vegetables.  We have one soaker hose for the tomatoes but use an old square plastic cat litter bucket with a brick in it to water the other vegetables.  Weird, huh?  We take our regular hose and place the nozzle through a hole in a leftover brick that's placed in the bottom of the bucket and set the bucket in between veggie patches.  That way, the water breaks over all fours sides of the bucket and doesn't hit the plants too hard.  And the brick keeps the hose weighed down.  It's pretty silly looking but, you know what?  It works good enough.  So it's just perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment