Thursday, May 13, 2010

Musical Musings

I'm watching It Might Get Loud.  It's a documentary-type movie featuring Jimmy Page from Led Zeppelin, the Edge from U2 and Jack White from the White Stripes.  It's fun to listen to each of them talk about how they got started playing guitar and how they came up with some of their best known guitar work.  Music is something I'm fascinated by but I have absolutely no ability to create.  So I listen.

Anyone who knows me knows how much I love the Edge and U2's music.  He doesn't do much talking with Bono around (who could?) so I enjoyed hearing him talk about his fascination with creating the sounds he hears in his head.  He also took us on a tour of the Mount Temple School in Dublin where U2 got their start.  Thrilling!  I still get excited when I see U2 play live, even on video.  I get butterflies in my stomach and a little part of my heart swells.

It was fascinating to learn about the beginnings of Jimmy Page's career.  I really don't know anything about Zeppelin so it was new and interesting.  Plus, Jimmy Page comes across as incredibly nice, down-to-earth guy who loves and respects music.  I'm going to listen to more Zeppelin.

That brings me to Jack White.  To be honest, I don't really get Jack White.  I think it's his attitude - he kind of comes off like a jerk and so contrived.  I'm not really sure he's on the same level as Jimmy Page and the Edge when it comes to talent either.  Am I being snobby?  Maybe.  It just rubs me the wrong way when a guy steps on his guitar on purpose.  I did really ennoy his appreciation for some of the early blues guitarists like Blind Willie Johnson but I think I just have a disconnect with him.

I haven't been listening to a whole lot of music lately but the documentary reminded me why I love it so much.  Now, off to update iTunes!

No comments:

Post a Comment