First off, I do not measure any of this. I just throw it into the pot. I think the measurements somewhat match what I make. It comes out just soupy enough to serve over rice and it makes A LOT. Yum!
This makes a LOT!
- 1 lb of sausage, sliced (I like Eckrich Sausage links)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 or 2 bell peppers diced
- 1 or 2 celery ribs, diced
- 2 16 oz cans of stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 1 large can of tomato sauce, if needed (mixture should be covered in juice)
- Pinch of sugar
- 2 cups (or more!) okra, sliced
- 1 cup of frozen corn
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Tabasco Sauce or clear pepper sauce
- In a large stew pot, brown the sausage well.
- Next add the onion, bell peppers and celery and cook till onion is translucent.
- Add the stewed tomatoes, tomato sauce and bring to a simmer. The mixture should be soupy.
- Add a pinch of sugar to tame the acid in the tomatoes.
- Add the sliced okra and simmer until no longer slimy. (With frozen okra, this takes just a few minutes. I've found with fresh, it can take 15 minutes or longer. It just depends on your okra.)
- When the mixture is no longer slimy, add the frozen corn and simmer for another 5-10 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
Serve over rice and enjoy with hot sauce and corn bread on the side.