Monday, June 21, 2010

Okra, Tomato and Sausage Gumbo

Recipe time!  I love to eat okra.  Fried, stewed, and pickled.  It's delicious.  I've even converted my previously greens-hating husband to the stuff.  This is my favorite okra gumbo recipe:






First off, I do not measure any of this.  I just throw it into the pot.  I think the measurements somewhat match what I make.  It comes out just soupy enough to serve over rice and it makes A LOT.  Yum!

This makes a LOT!

Ingredients:


  • 1 lb of sausage, sliced (I like Eckrich Sausage links)
  • 1 large onion, diced
  • 1 or 2 bell peppers diced
  • 1 or 2 celery ribs, diced
  • 2 16 oz cans of stewed tomatoes, cut up
  • 1 large can of tomato sauce, if needed (mixture should be covered in juice)
  • Pinch of sugar
  • 2 cups (or more!) okra, sliced
  • 1 cup of frozen corn
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Tabasco Sauce or clear pepper sauce


  1. In a large stew pot, brown the sausage well. 
  2. Next add the onion, bell peppers and celery and cook till onion is translucent.
  3. Add the stewed tomatoes, tomato sauce and bring to a simmer.  The mixture should be soupy.
  4. Add a pinch of sugar to tame the acid in the tomatoes.
  5. Add the sliced okra and simmer until no longer slimy.  (With frozen okra, this takes just a few minutes.  I've found with fresh, it can take 15 minutes or longer.  It just depends on your okra.)
  6. When the mixture is no longer slimy, add the frozen corn and simmer for another 5-10 minutes.
  7. Add salt and pepper to taste.


Serve over rice and enjoy with hot sauce and corn bread on the side.




No comments:

Post a Comment