Thursday, June 3, 2010

Successful Cloth Wipes



The cloth diapers worked so well that I decided to try sewing some cloth wipes.



I had never sewn anything in my life but I've been wanting to learn.  Well, they weren't the prettiest but they worked fantastically.  I got tons of receiving blankets while I was pregnant and the kiddo was too big for them when he was born!  I decided to cut some up and make wipes out of them since I thought flannel would make a nice wipes texture.  

Sewing the flannel/flannel wipes
I made 8x8 and 8x12 (for big jobs)


The hand-me-down receiving blankets worked the best.  They've been washed dozens of times are are super soft and absorbent.  A few days later, I tried an old cut up towel and made wipes with terrycloth on one side and flannel on the other.  They're perfect for big jobs!  (Just be careful with the terrycloth in your machine.  I had to unclog it a few times.)

Terrycloth/flannel wipes

Now that they're made, what to do with the wipes?  I got an idea from The Feminist Breeder to put the wipes in a regular disposable wipes container and fold them so they'll pop up.  Genius!


    
Folding the wipes so they'll "pop up."



Success!  They popped up!

After this, I even made my own diaper wipe solution.  There are millions of recipes online but I just made mine up.  I fill a sink with warm water, add a squirt of baby bath wash and a few drops of tea tree oil.  Soak the wipes and Voila!  I like the tea tree oil since it has antiseptic properties so you don't have to worry about the wipes staying damp for a few days.

And a special bonus - these wipes also fit in a standard wipes warmer.  I have mine in the Munchkin Warm Glow Wipe Warmer and I love it.  A lot of folks say they have problems with the wipes getting musty or drying out and browning around the edges but I've never had this problem.  But then again, I replace them about every 4 days.


No comments:

Post a Comment