Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Tiny Houses

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." Walden, a book by Henry David Thoreau.

Ever wanted to just get rid of everything you don't absolutely need and live a simple, less-wasteful life?  Our house is just 1,500 sq ft but D and I have figured out that we actually use only about 800 of those feet.  Despite being a clutter bug, I've always had a desire to live Spartan, clean life.

D came home one day and told me about a website he'd stumbled upon - Tumbleweed Houses.  It's a company that specializes in very small, high quality home designs.  You can buy the tiny houses premade but you can purchase plans for either the tiny or small houses and build them yourselves.  The tour of the 100 sq ft house the owner lives in is really interesting.  He's since upgraded to a 500 sq ft house since he got married and has a baby on the way.

After further Googling, I discovered Tiny Texas Houses.  They are a Luling, TX company that specializes in building tiny houses for people out of reclaimed and salvaged materials.  They even use environmentally friendly milk paint to paint the houses.  D and I are planning a trip to check out the houses one weekend.


400 sq ft built by Tiny Texas Houses

No comments:

Post a Comment