Well, it came up again in June and we decided to bite the bullet. And we decided that since it's been nearly 3 years, let's go all-in. The three of us are going to New Zealand.
We talked about going in March of 2011 to make it before the Rugby World Cup. The more we talked about it, the more we realized that we wanted to spend more than the standard 2 weeks. In order to spend a month or more and do it right, we'll need to save quite a bit more money.
The plan now is to:
- pay off all our student loans within a year and put that money towards our travel account
- begin selling unnecessary possessions (Man vs Debt style) and put that money towards our travel account
Why New Zealand? A bunch of reasons (and not just because they filmed Lord of the Rings there). It's:
- exotic, far away (if we're going to go on a trip, we'd like to visit a far-off place)
- relaxed, laid-back culture
- several climates in a small area - beaches, hot springs, mountains, glaciers, plains, forests
- beautiful scenery
- emphasis on outdoor activities like hiking, kayaking, rafting
- oh, and they speak English (we don't speak any foreign languages)
And now for some pictures: