Thursday, April 14, 2011

A Freecycle Junkyard

D informed me last night that he wasn't too crazy about me posting pics of our "junk pile."  I didn't really feel like I was airing the dirty laundry.  It's more like showing a work in progress.  And it's not really even junk.  We have a list of garden and yard projects that we just don't have the money or time for right now.  But if I happen to see something on Freecycle that we could use for one of our projects, I'll get it if I can.

What is Freecycle?  Freecycle is a Yahoo-group organized by geographic area, city or town.  Here's what they say about themselves: 
"Our mission is to build a worldwide gifting movement that reduces waste, saves precious resources & eases the burden on our landfills while enabling our members to benefit from the strength of a larger community."

Basically, it's like a Craigslist or a classified ad  for your area only everything must be free.  You can put up items you want to get rid of or put up an ad for something that you want or need.  We've given away computer speakers, DVDs, planters, laptop bags, kids clothes and toys.   If you want to get started and see what's in your area, visit here.

D and I have tons of projects that take things like lumber, irrigation tubing and cinder blocks.  When I see something like that on Freecycle, I reply to the poster and, if it's still available, it's all mine.  I just have to pick it up.  Just yesterday, I put up a "Wanted" ad for bamboo stakes for our vegetable garden.  Two hours later, a woman replied with her address and said she put about 15 stakes and a trellis outside her fence for me to pick up.  I drove by with Little Bit and there they were.  I loaded them into the Subaru and away we went.  We've saved tons of money this way.  The only downside is that we have to store the items till we use them.  Hence the junk pile.

So our junk pile isn't really junk, that's just what we call it.  I think it totally fits in to what this blog is about.  It's not particularly pretty, but it is pretty useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment