To start with, I got an easy pre-made applique and an iron-on transfer from Joann Fabrics. Since I'm not terribly crafty, I thought it better to start small. These were insanely easy. Seriously, I put a sheet of cardboard inside the t-shirt, lined up the design and ironed them on. Took me about 10 minutes total.
|The lighting is terrible on this one but it's a bright red monster|
on a black t-shirt.
|I'm getting ahead of myself with this one since he can't even|
wear it for another 5 months.
Since these went so well, I decided to step it up and make an applique from a pattern. I stumbled on an amazing blog a few weeks ago called Crap I've Made. She's got some great ideas, including this one for a two-year old's shirt (she's also got a link to the pattern but you could make it yourself easily). I decided to make it for Little Bit to wear this Saturday.
The process was really pretty easy. Well, until I got to the sewing part. I fused the applique itself to the shirt in 3 pieces using Wonder Under (it's awesome stuff, really.) Now, by itself, Wonder Under should hold the applique to the shirt just fine. But I wanted to get fancy and stitch around the design. Oy....well, it wasn't as bad as it could have been.
The shirt looks fine from afar, but when you get up close, you think I'd been drinking when I did the stitching. For the record, I had not, it being bad for the baby and all, I just stink at sewing. I've had zero training, my machine was a freebie because it was already broken and including this shirt, I have stitched about 4 things. Ever. So, don't judge me too harshly...
|Not too shabby from way back here.|
|Oh, but up close!|
I think this is what you'd call a "Monet."